Most novice Internet users are very careful when choosing a solution for creating a website. They are 100% right, especially when it comes to opening an online store. Commercial business has long been moving online, so even large offline trading platforms are creating online stores. Therefore, choosing the best e-commerce solution is crucial. Most of the platforms are good, but how to choose the most suitable for your business? We recommend you to read this competitive review of the popular Internet commerce platforms — Shopify and PrestaShop.
Prestashop Vs Shopify: A Detailed Comparison
PrestaShop is a specialized Internet commerce platform created for large companies and commercial projects. It uses modules to work with additional features (such as a blog). Among the key advantages of the platform, we can define the following:
- It has an extensive collection of templates on the official website (more than 3000);
- You can use both mobile and desktop version of the platform;
- The platform supports tens of thousands of products;
- There are dozens of extra-modules available for PrestaShop;
- There is a good management system, from where you can manage stocks from different warehouses;
Along with the above-mentioned advantages, some controversial points require your special attention:
- The cache significantly reduces the speed of the sites. To increase it, it is desirable to use special programs;
- There are no standard plugins that would automatically generate meta descriptions and headers for PrestaShop. Additionally, using an outdated version of Prestashop may cause some .css and .js files to be blocked by the robots.txt file. This is very bad for SEO, so tracking it is very important.
Shopify development company offers a convenient and easy-to-use SaaS platform, which is a leader for small and medium companies. With this service, you will not need to waste time mastering your programming skills. You will be able to spend your time developing and promoting your online store. Shopify has a customer support service, where you can find answers to your questions at any time of the day. Besides, Shopify includes the basic functions of analytics, which makes this platform more attractive than PrestaShop:
- Editable title tags;
- Page URLs;
- ALT tags for images;
- Customizable picture file names, etc.
Even though, it has several limitations, such as:
- Lack of control over the server;
- Restriction of access to FTP editing files and robots.txt files;
- Lack of the ability to bypass a fixed URL structure (you cannot create your own structure for a full-page).
Both options have serious advantages and several disadvantages. Shopify is a first-class solution for small and medium shops and people who are just starting their way in e-commerce. This option is suitable for entrepreneurs who want to get the simplest and functional solution to create a successful business on the Internet. PrestaShop is convenient for large retailers and provides various additional modules to expand basic functionality.